Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Unity through Humility
(Phil 2:1 -11)
By: Bro. Kevin Lee De Guzman
 

Let me just share to you a story. Last March of this year, I got the chance to go home to the Philippines. During that time, the youth group in our church were organizing a National Youth Camp. Participating were the different youth ministries of our churches in different regions of our country, from Luzon to Mindanao. I used to be one of the organizers of these activities during my youth. I was the program coordinator. But then when I got invited to this Youth Camp to be one of the staff, I asked my self, "What will be my part?". They said that my presence would already a great help. When I arrived at the camp site, I really didn't know what to do. All of the tasks for planning that involves thinking and making ideas were already taken by the new generation of youth officers. Then one guy approached and asked me, "we need help on building the tents. "  It was summer, the sun was scorching hot and was very humid. I thought, "finally, I can be of help." And so the  15 tents were built. Then in the evening after dinner, there were more than 250 plates and other kitchen utensils to be washed. "Where are the officers?" I asked. Someone answered that they were having a meeting for the activities tomorrow and some were practicing for the praise and worship. So i helped that same guy who asked me to build the tents, wash the plates and the other utensils. Then it struck me. "Why am I the one doing this things? I am too good for this. " Ego and pride started to cloud my mind. So I asked this teenager I was helping, "what's your ministry in your church?" From his answer, i found out that he can play musical instruments and that he is actually the youth president of our church district in Southern Bicol. "Why are you doing this, shouldn't you be there planning with them or practicing with the worship team?" I asked with the intention of breaking  his spirit. Then he answered, "God already called people who wants to be part of the planning, singing, playing the instruments and leading. There are even more than enough who wants to volunteer for those tasks. If I will not do what we are doing right now, who would?" I felt a pinch in my heart. But then I challenged him again, "Aren't you getting tired of these tasks?" He answered almost instantly with a smile on his face, "Well I would have been tired, but God brought you here to help me." I was left speechless.
 


Humility. As believers, some of us thought that we've learned all about it, yet everyday we are still challenged to put our own interests last while not thinking highly of ourselves. How hard is it for us to put other's best interest before our own? Going back to the story, the youth camp would have not been a success if there are no one who had in his heart the best interest of the majority. If nobody was prepared to do the physically challenging task because of ego and pride, do you think the youth camp would be able to accomplish its objectives? They had the same intent and purpose. Their eyes were focused on one prize. They were willing to humble theirselves to reach their goal.
 
 





When everyone in the church values everyone else’s needs and desires above his or her own needs and desires, the result will inevitably be unity.( Phil 2:1-11) And if we are united, we reach our goal.
 





These eleven verses consist of two main sections.  
 




The first section (v.  1-4), contains exhortation to unity and humility.  In verses 1-2, Paul issues his appeal to unity.  This appeal is based upon the clauses describing four shared experiences of the Philippians.  In verses 3-4, Paul issues his appeal to humility.  This appeal is to regard other more highly than their own selves. 
 





In the second section (v. 5-11), Paul illustrates the kind of humility to which he is exhorting the Philippians by the example of the condescension of Christ. In verses 5-8 a series of clauses are strung together which detail Christ’s humble descent from the throne of God to the death of the cross.  Verses 9-11, however, leave the example of the humiliation of Christ to glory in His new highly exalted position as the enthroned Lord over all creation. 





Three points:
 



I.  Having unity means having the same mind, same love, being one-souled, the same intent and purpose. V. 1-2
 

One-souled. People sharing the same identity because they are in Christ, hence mutually supporting what God reveals through faith. ( Strong's Concordance)
 



II. Humility, looking out for the interests of others,  promotes unity. V. 3-4
 

In this context, humility, tapeinophrusune in greek, means lowliness of human pride, having a deep sense of one's moral littleness, that quality of mindset of having a humble opinion of oneself. (Strong's Concordance)
 


III. Follow the example of Christ's humility. V. 5-8
 


Conclusion:
 

God wants to see his followers walk in unity.  The means to that unity is a humility that regards others as more valuable than one’s self.  We are urged to follow the example of Jesus who although was at the same level with God, allowed himself to be stripped of that position in order to become man and die on the cross to purchase our salvation.  

Since none of us possess such position (being in the same level with God) as did the preincarnate Christ, none of us will ever have to humble ourselves to the extreme which He did. Therefore, we should be all the more willing to humble ourselves in a way that is by far inferior to the humiliation which He experienced.

No comments: